Saying Goodbye and Thank You To San Diego High’s Retiring Teachers ~ Mr. Murphy

Mr. Murphy, U.S. History

Harrison Glazebrook, staff writer, sophomore

Each year we say goodbye to the graduating seniors as they take flight to life and their future endeavors. Friends may never see each other again while some will last a lifetime. But this year we will also bid farewell to our retiring teachers. They have devoted their lives to teaching, passing on life experiences and words of advice as well as encouragement.
Mr. Murphy has been at San Diego High for forty years. He has had family attend SDH and has a special connection to the school. He made life long friendships as well as learned to be a better teacher. We will miss you and remember lessons learned.
May life continue to bless you as you have blessed your students through your teaching.

TR: What was your experience like teaching at SDHS?  Throughout your career?
Overall, I have had a wonderful experience while teaching at SDHS.  I firmly believe that I learned how to become an effective teacher while developing my skills and knowledge at SDHS.  My first six years of teaching were at a very good school, Hayward High School.  Those first six years do not favorably compare with the past forty years at SDHS.  I have always felt a special attachment to SDHS.  All of my seven brothers and sisters attended San Diego High.  In my mind there is a connection between SDHS and the community where I spent my early years.  It was at SDHS that I developed a real love of teaching. I continue to enjoy coming to work everyday.  I look forward to interacting with my students.  I could have comfortably retired several years ago.  The most significant contributing factor to my decision to retire now is the school district’s threat to fire so many young teachers.  For a teacher, it is a great joy to have former students become effective teachers.  Four of my former students are now teaching at SDHS.  I wish them the very best!

TR: What will you remember most about the school, staff, and students?
There are many things that I will remember about my years at the school.  I worked with some great educators over the past forty years.  There are too many to give names.  They were people who taught me, were patient with me, and inspired me to become a better educator.  These were often people who worked with me to create unique educational programs.  They had the courage to start the first secondary exchange program between the United States and the Soviet Union.  They helped to expand the program to other nations like Austria, Argentina, Germany, and Australia.  These programs provided SDHS students with the opportunity to extend their education beyond the classroom to other parts of the world.   It was a select group of educators who supported thirty-five years of multi-day college trips to inspire and motivate our students.  I will always remember the staff of dedicated teachers and coaches at SDHS.  The people who you could depend on to do the right thing.

There are many things about the physical plant that I will miss.  For many years, I enjoyed seeing the rare Torrey Pine trees.  I think that I have a greater appreciation of the mural on the PAT than must students and staff.  I was at the school when the main artist and students created the beautiful mural.  It is a masterpiece that is ignored by many!  I enjoyed explaining the mural to many foreign exchange students at SDHS.

I will remember the students.  I have continued to work at SDHS for forty years because of the students.  We have a uniquely diverse population of students who come from places like Logan Heights and Mission Hills.  I value the relationships of trust that I have developed with students.

TR: What are your plans after you retire? 
I plan to continue to learn. I have a love of history that I will always pursue.  If I miss teaching, I will attempt to teach in a different capacity.
I plan to pursue my love of travel.  I will seek to continue to have international interactions with friends and educators.
I plan to be an active citizen in my community.

TR: Do you have any parting words and advice for the staff and students at SDH?
My only advice to pursue something you love.  I love my experience at SDHS because of what I was able to accomplish and the people that I had the opportunity to interact with over the years.

If I had limited myself to the classroom, I would have stopped teaching many years ago.
Appreciate the legacy of SDHS.

19 Comments

19 Responses to “Saying Goodbye and Thank You To San Diego High’s Retiring Teachers ~ Mr. Murphy”

1. Bobby Smith on June 12th, 2017 08:01

Mr Murphy was an awsome teacher during my year at SDHS, you were Awsome at what you did 🙂

[Reply]

2. LuAnn Wherry on June 12th, 2017 11:22

I’m so sad for the upcoming SDHS students that you are retiring, but happy that you are going onto more adventures. Class of 1986

[Reply]

3. Elias Atienza on June 12th, 2017 11:41

I love Mr. Murphy and his class. Huge inspiration for me and one of the main reasons why I decided to pursue a history major. Hoped to see him before he retired, but not going to be the case. Thanks for everything Mr. Murphy!

[Reply]

4. D'Artagnan Magaña on June 12th, 2017 13:49

Mr. Murphy was the first teacher who really made me care about history. His enthusiasm and insight fostered a passion in me that still exists all these years later.

Enjoy your retirement and thank you, Mr. Murphy!

[Reply]

5. Roufieh on June 12th, 2017 15:04

Mr. Murphy was the best teacher! Left a huge impression on me. He was my history teacher, and took us on the college trip which inspired me so much! I just took my own student (juniors) from Chula Vista High School on the college trip as a teacher, I’m paying it forward Mr. Murphy! Enjoy your retirement and I only hope to make the change you inspired in me for my own students for years to come!!!

[Reply]

6. Carolyn on June 12th, 2017 15:59

Mr. Murphy I am so happy for you. You finally get to relax and not deal with all these crazy kids lol!! I was class of 2010 and I still remember you and your classes well. Thank you! Enjoy retirement.

[Reply]

7. Katherine carter on June 12th, 2017 18:09

I graduated from SDHS in 1991 and remember Mr.Murphy well even though I never got to take his Class! I was an exchange student junior year so I missed taking US history with him. He taught both my sisters and all of my friends and I was disappointed not to take his class. He used The People’s History by Howard Zinn as the main history text and was known as a passionate, progressive, and engaging teacher.

[Reply]

8. Michelle Crowder Simpson on June 12th, 2017 19:21

Mr. Murphy was by far one of my favorite teachers at San Diego High School. I now have children and talk about what a great teacher he was and what an impact he had on me. Cavers class of ’91

[Reply]

9. Annie Carter on June 12th, 2017 19:40

I just got a message from my sister Katherine Carter that Mr. Murphy from San Diego high school was retiring. She asked if I had ever had him as a teacher, she had heard so many great things but never was in his class. My response was simple….yes he was my favorite out of all my teachers. He was the teacher that let us have the people’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn right next to our high school textbook and talk and compare them. Something most high school students don’t get to do. I know my sister Betsy Carter would also call him also one of her favorite teachers. I truly cannot imagine the number of people that were so lucky to have a teacher like Mr. Murphy

[Reply]

10. Liliana Ruiz on June 12th, 2017 20:04

I still remember walking into Mr. Murphy’s class where I learned so much. Best wishes on your new adventure! Class of 2005.

[Reply]

11. Edward Fernandes on June 12th, 2017 21:35

Mr. Murphy was the best teacher!?! Not only has he gotten to know each and every student that has come his way. He continues to keep that mysterious mustache smile every single day. I praise you Mr. Murphy! You are our great Bambino.
    Your student,
    Edward Fernandes
    Class of 2010

[Reply]

12. Kyrra Moffatt-Velez on June 12th, 2017 23:29

So many priceless memories and life moments shared during our time at SDHS with such an inspirational educator, Mr. Murphy. From good laughs and thought provoking debates while chilling with the “couch club” in his dynamic classroom, to touring the coast of CA colleges and building friendships around the world with our international exchange programs – a foundation I am graciously proud of, thank you for your dedication to building us up as individuals, our community and world as a whole. May you enjoy this next chapter in your own history book – the adventure is yours! – SDHS ’94

[Reply]

13. Noel Marquez on June 13th, 2017 10:29

Mr Murphy was definitely one heck of history teacher. He just loves his students and we all love his teachings. One thing I will always remember from him is his accent to the days of the week. Today is Mundi – he meant monday, Everybody hates mundi! God bless to you Mr Murphy and goodluck to your next adventure sir! CLASS OF 96.

[Reply]

14. Ann Trisler on June 13th, 2017 11:14

Mr. Murphy and I played on the same basketball team together (back in the 80’s, when he had hair) LOL. He says his ribs are still bruised from the abuse on the court, ha. I have been at SD High for 13 years now and I must say that I have harrassed him every single day. We really go at it sometimes, teasing and joking with each other. I would always tease him about signing in each morning and if he filled out the correct paperwork to leave early. 🙂 Mr. Murphy is a caring, kind, considerate, and funny man. He cares deeply for his students and wants to see them succeed. I will miss him so very much!!

Ann

[Reply]

15. Ignacio Jimenez on June 13th, 2017 11:44

Mr. Murphy is one of a kind teacher that has changed the world for the betterment, of the community and
    Beyond! Enjoy your retirement! Best, I. J. ’86

[Reply]

16. Sheila Scott (White) on June 13th, 2017 21:24

Happy Retirement Mr. Murphy! You deserve it! Take care sir!

[Reply]

17. Mrs. Oakes on June 14th, 2017 07:53

Mr. Murphy, you truly are an inspiration. Your commitment, passion, and love for teaching is something I aspire to. All the best for your future. CONGRATULATIONS! – Oakes

[Reply]

18. Amy zheng on June 15th, 2017 23:12

I was hoping you could hold on for 3 more years so my son can have you as a teacher. I had fond memories of our debates (Todd Smith with the Quaker Oats box) and Howard Zinn. Your class opened my eyes to a whole different prespective of looking at the world. Congratulations and enjoy your retirement!

[Reply]

19. Adali Martinez on June 18th, 2017 11:57

Highlights of Mr. Murphy’s class:
    -Reading chapters of A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn (learning the real history of our country)
    -Seeing Mr. Murphy “school” some athletes with one handed push ups
    -Having an open and honest discussion about race and discrimination with classmates
    -Dancing for the first time with my now husband during our Cha Cha lesson days!

Thank you, Mr. Murphy, for the history and life lessons.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The online edition of San Diego High School's newspaper