Summer Movies Are Here!

Claire Hathaway, editor in chief, sophomore

This summer 2017,  high schoolers will be watching tv shows and movies from their homes or going to the theaters. Students are busy throughout the school year studying for tests and exams, doing homework, and working hard in their classes, so once break rolls around they like to do nothing and watch movies.

Theaters are expected to be packed.  Expect to see a variety of movies ranging from action to biography to comedy.

For the students who love action movies, The Russ recommends:

Transformers: The Last Knight –  Humans, and Transformers are at war, Optimus Prime is gone. The key to saving our future lies buried in the secrets of the past, in the hidden history of Transformers on Earth.

The Mummy – An ancient princess is awakened from her crypt beneath the desert, bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia, and terrors that defy human comprehension.

Wonder Woman – Before she was Wonder Woman, she was known as Diana, princess of the native Amazons,  and a trained warrior. When a pilot crashes and tells of conflict in the outside world, she leaves home to fight a war to end all wars, discovering her full powers and true destiny.

Baby Driver – After being coerced into working for a crime boss, a young getaway driver finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail.

Resident Evil: Vendetta – In the 7th Resident Evil movie, Chris Redfield enlists the help of government agent Leon S. Kennedy and Professor Rebecca Chambers from Alexander Institute of Biotechnology to stop a death merchant with a vengeance from spreading a deadly virus in New York.

Spider-Man: Homecoming – Following the events of Captain America: Civil War (2016), Peter Parker attempts to balance his life in high school with his career as the web-slinging superhero Spider-Man.

War of the Planet for the Apes – In the 3rd movie from the new series, after the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar, leader of the apes wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets – A dark force threatens Alpha, a vast metropolis and home to species from a thousand planets. Special operatives Valerian and Laureline must race to identify the marauding menace and safeguard not just Alpha, but the future of the universe.

Dunkirk – Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire, Canada, and France are surrounded by the German army and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.

The Hitman’s Bodyguard – The world’s top bodyguard gets a new client, a hit man who must testify at the International Court of Justice. They must put their differences aside and work together to make it to the trial on time.

The high schoolers who enjoy dramas should go check out the following:

All Eyez on Me – Tells the true and untold story of a prolific rapper, actor, poet and activist Tupac Shakur.

The Life and Death of John Gotti – The story of Mafia crime boss John Gotti and his son.

A Ghost Story – In this singular exploration of legacy, love, loss, and the enormity of existence, a recently deceased, white-sheeted ghost returns to his suburban home to try to reconnect with his deprived wife.

The Dark Tower – A gunslinger, Roland Deschain, roams an Old West-like landscape where “the world has moved on” in pursuit of the man in black. Also, he searches for the fabled Dark Tower, in the hopes that reaching it will preserve his dying world.

Detroit – A police raid in the city of Detroit in 1967 results in one of the largest citizen uprisings in United States history.

All Saints – All Saints is based on the inspiring true story of salesman-turned-pastor Michael Spurlock, the tiny church he was ordered to shut down, and a group of refugees from Southeast Asia. Together, they risked everything to plant seeds for a future that might just save them all.

Tulip Fever – An artist falls for a young married woman while he’s commissioned to paint her portrait during the Tulip mania of 17th century city of Amsterdam.

The high school students who just love a simple comedy should go watch:

Rough Night – A male stripper ends up dead at a Miami beach house during a bachelorette party weekend.

The House – A dad convinces his friends to start an illegal casino in his basement after he and his wife spend their daughter’s college fund.

Girls Trip – When four lifelong friends travel to New Orleans for the annual Essence Festival, sisterhoods are rekindled, wild sides are rediscovered, and there’s enough dancing, drinking, brawling, and romancing to make the Big Easy blush.

Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature – Following the events of the first film, Surly, and his friends must stop Oakton City’s mayor from destroying their home to make way for a dysfunctional amusement park.

There are also lots of students who love a good horror movie such as:

Annabelle: Creation – Several years after the tragic death of their little girl, a dollmaker and his wife welcome a nun and several girls from a shuttered orphanage into their home, soon becoming the target of the dollmaker’s possessed creation, Annabelle.

Wish Upon – A teenage girl discovers a box that carries magic powers and a deadly price for using them.

Atomic Blonde – An undercover agent is sent to Berlin during the Cold War to investigate the murder of a fellow agent and recover a missing list of double agents.

47 Meters Down – Two sisters vacationing in Mexico are trapped in a shark cage at the bottom of the ocean. With less than an hour of oxygen left and great white sharks circling nearby, they must fight to survive.

Also last but not least, students could go see a new documentary:

Step – STEP documents the senior year of a girls’ high-school step dance team against the background of inner-city Baltimore.

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power – A decade after An Inconvenient Truth brought climate change into the heart of popular culture comes the follow-up that shows just how close we are to a real energy revolution.

However sometimes high school students do not want to start a new show, or simply do not find anything interesting. According to Newsday these are the best tv shows on Netflix:

13 Reasons Why – Follows teenager Clay Jensen, in his quest to uncover the story behind his classmate and crush, Hannah, and her decision to end her life.

Gilmore Girls – A dramedy centering around the relationship between a thirtysomething single mother and her teen daughter living in Stars Hollow, Connecticut.

Orange is the New Black – The story of Piper Chapman, a woman in her thirties who is sentenced to fifteen months in prison after being convicted of a decade-old crime of transporting money to her drug-dealing girlfriend.

Breaking Bad – A high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer turns to manufacturing and selling methamphetamine in order to secure his family’s future.

Mad Men – A drama about one of New York’s most prestigious ad agencies at the beginning of the 1960s, focusing on one of the firm’s most mysterious but extremely talented ad executives, Donald Draper.

Stranger Things – When a young boy disappears, his mother, a police chief, and his friends must confront terrifying forces in order to get him back.

Better Call Saul – The trials and tribulations of criminal lawyer, Jimmy McGill, in the time leading up to establishing his strip-mall law office in Albuquerque, New Mexico. A breakaway series of Breaking Bad.

Jane the Virgin – A young, devout Catholic woman discovers that she was accidentally artificially inseminated.

Friends – Follows the personal and professional lives of six 20 to 30-something-year-old friends living in Manhattan.

Gossip Girl – Privileged teens living on the Upper East Side of New York can hide no secret from the ruthless blogger who is always watching.

American Horror Story – An anthology series that centers on different characters and locations, including a house with a murderous past, an insane asylum, a witch coven, a freak show, a hotel and a sinister farmhouse.

Grey’s Anatomy – A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

The Office – A mockumentary on a group of typical office workers, where the workday consists of ego clashes, inappropriate behavior, and tedium.

The movies and TV shows are expected to be a big hit this summer. So be sure to check them out before they leave the theaters this fall.

source: imbd.com