Student in Focus

Andrew Serrato, Staff Writer, Freshman

If you have ever seen students dressed in a cheer uniform on campus you might think that being on the cheer squad is all fun and games. But this Caver cheerleader not only shows her school spirit at games and works hard during practices but also gives back to the community.

Madison Deguzman is a freshman that attends International Studies. She is often involved in her community and helping out whenever she can. From sorting out fruits and vegetables for the Feeding America Foundation to volunteering at her local YMCA, Madison gladly helps out at every possible opportunity she can.

In addition, Madison is one of San Diego High’s cheerleaders on the competition and sideline teams. Being in this sport has taught her the importance of hard work, dedication and teamwork. Madison refers to the cheer team as a family where they set aside their differences and help each other with a variety of skills such as jumps, stunts and tumbling.

In her free time Madison enjoys reading, especially mystery and science fiction books. She loves movies so do not be surprised if you catch her watching one of her favorites all day.

After putting in many hours, the SDHS cheer team qualified to go to the JAMZ National this month. Their goal is to place 1st at the competition being held in Las Vegas, Nevada.