Food Trucks On The Way

RJ Uriarte, Assistant Editor, Freshman

Sunny blue skies, sandy beaches, and at least one trip to the zoo are essential parts of living in San Diego. The bonus of populating America’s Finest City is the numerous food trucks that are scattered around guaranteeing incredibly diverse and flavorful meals. This accessible way to grab-and-go a snack is beneficial not only to the consumer but the workers. FoodTruckerFacts reports that on average food trucks make between 150 to 300 dollars an hour.

As of April 1, many administrators have brought food trucks into their school. Sandy Brown, the principal of T.O. Talli High School in Northern California, stated, “I decided to bring in food trucks because of the political unrest that is circulating in this country, student morale was down. The sudden increase in worry from the students was a big concern to the faculty and I. We found that the inversion of the trucks caused a boost in school spirit.”

Local Schools such as Caramel Valley, La Hoya, and High Five High have all jumped on the bandwagon and report that they will bring in food trucks.
San Diego High School’s Parent-Teacher Association Club  campaigned for the school administration to do something about lowest recorded rate of optimism among minority students. Seeking a resolution the teachers met on April 1st and decided to allow food trucks to sell lunch. Ersatz Faux, the president of the PTAC stated, “The parents and I were just really upset about how so many of SDHS students have stopped trying, we talked to a lot of them, and a lot of them feel hopeless for the future. We just wanted to do one thing that would help.”

Faux elaborated by saying that there would be three food trucks. Fintar, ประดิษฐ์ (Pradi-sth), and Toc. Fintar is a Mexican food truck usually located in Coronado. Fintar’s owners, Belle Tapioca and S.W. eetooth says, “We decided to open a food truck when our restaurant went bankrupt with the economy. We still wanted to make food, but we didn’t want so much risk, so we decided on a truck.”The couple serves a wide variety of lunches, from rice and beans to posole.

ประดิษฐ์ (pronounced Pradi-sth), is a Thai food truck that was started in Thailand. Tat Aroma, the owner, decided to immigrate from Thailand to the United States and began his business in San Diego. Aroma said, “I decided to keep the original name because I am proud of my country and my food. There is power in a name and mine is not weak.” Tat provides many indigenous dishes, his most popular being a rice and noodle dish with an assortment of spices.
Toc, a French cuisine truck is the last. The owner Marqui Anazonet and his boyfriend Antoine Banxue started the food truck back in 2013. Toc serves a large assortment of crepes, from sweet and savory to vegan.

In spite of recent political events that have decreased student’s overall happiness various schools have begun to bring in food trucks. As of April 1, SDHS will be one of those schools.