Save MVPA . . . Not Really (Con)

Tariq Johnson, senior, staff writer

Early last week the Media, Visual, Performing Arts school announced its termination that will take effect before the upcoming school year. Many students are dumbfounded by the idea if not distraught while large populations of students don’t have much of a concern at all.  The ending of MVPA will have a major negative impact not only on the students of MVPA but the neighboring schools of International Studies, Business and Leadership, and Science and Technology. All students should expect to see a significant change to their daily student life.

The school of MVPA is not necessarily the brightest school, which could play a major role in decreasing the neighboring school’s academic scores as well as the student morale. Ultimately when the school does close, the students from MVPA will be forced to disperse into one of the remaining three schools possibly tainting the culture of those schools.

I feel as though the removal of the School of Arts is a major step back in progressing school education and learning. The students of MVPA chose to enroll into that school for a specific reason because it fit their way of learning, their talents, and their interests. The students will now be forced to infiltrate one of the three other schools passing along their culture of negligence and laziness to students who genuinely enjoy learning and increasing their knowledge.

Don’t get me wrong MVPA is not completely full of unlettered and failing students with a disinterest in learning. However those that are will be a major threat to the large population of students who do actually hope to achieve a good education and go on to college.

The way students learn at MVPA varies substantially from the other schools. Many students only attend the school of Arts to achieve a very lenient education that does not require much effort. This is going to reflect upon their grades when they relocate to another school due to their lack of exposure to work that actually challenges their minds. Not only will their presence affect other students but also classrooms are going to be substantially bigger. These enlarged classes will make it difficult for teachers to teach and control the atmosphere of their overall class, hindering the progression of student education once again.

The San Diego School District should take into account the affect that the removal of MVPA will have on the other students and schools within San Diego High School. I believe each school within SDHS has a purpose and that purpose is to allow students to learn comfortably and in an environment they enjoy. Closing MVPA will only develop an awkward learning condition for the MVPA students and the students attending other schools.

MVPA students will stand out at the schools they choose to attend. They will become isolated, deserted, and maybe even left behind. I say save MVPA! Save MVPA from transforming our schools into THEIR lazy play zone! Save MVPA so that they do not worm into our schools and dissolve our love for learning! Save MVPA!

1 Comment

One Response to “Save MVPA . . . Not Really (Con)”

1. shay young on May 6th, 2015 19:22

I cant believe you have the nerve to say those things! You know nothing of what goes on in MVPA. People like you make this world a hard place because you judge a group of people by what you hear and see a few people doing. It’s called stereotyping! And it’s going on everyday people being put in groups and people like you go as far as killing people that are different. People at MVPA are not lazy, we choose something we are good at and something we love. Do not go around judging people by what you see a few people doing because I don’t judge your school by what a few of your fellow class mates have done, you shouldn’t. This world has improved to much to have uneducated people pull it under. P.S The RUSS IS a MVPA course.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The online edition of San Diego High School's newspaper
Save MVPA . . . Not Really (Con)